Thursday, October 2, 2008

I'm the Cycling Queen - NOT!!!


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


Yep, this is me the other night. (Actually this was about a month ago or so..) I have a friend who is a big cyclist and he encouraged me to go on this "beginner" ride with the local cycling club. He just happened to have an extra really nice aluminum racing bike that he said he'd let me ride. The ride was scheduled to be about 15 miles and probably take about an hour. I wasn't sure if I was ready or not!

But, I figured I'd try it.

It was quite hot that evening - we started the ride about 6:00 and finished about 7:30! I actually did enjoy it; however before I got done, I started to get really, really tired. I had a stitch in my side that wouldn't go away and although I was drinking water left and right, I felt like my throat was made of sandpaper. All that was tolerable though, it was my BUTT that killed me.

The seat was actually a guy's seat, I think and we didn't really have time to make the adjustments needed to perfect the bike before the ride. I found the leaning forward position a bit uncomfortable after a while...and my butt - well, there is no nice way to say it. My crotch was killing me!!! In fact, at the time I'm writing this post, it has been 4 days since I rode and it still hurts! I really think I bruised the butt bones. I thought I had enough padding back there - ha ha.

I didn't have any riding pants - just my regular gym shorts and a tank top...so my buddy said I definitely needed to get some riding shorts. They are specially made for gals and they have padding in all those "tender" areas. So, IF I try it again, I'll have to get some of those pants.

The ride itself was actually really fun and I was impressed with myself that I rode 15 miles my first time out. My buddy said we averaged 15 to over 20 mph most of the time. He said he was really impressed with my skills. I think he may have been blowing smoke up my sore bottom. ha ha

I did do well I guess - but it took everything out of me. I may try it again someday.....

4 comments:

Robyn said...

Ouch! I've ridden a guy's bike before and I feel your pain. Its just all wrong, lol!
I'm really impressed that you rode so far for your first ride :)

AVCr8teur said...

That's one thing I hate about bike riding is the sore butt afterwards. Maybe I just got a bony butt.

Rebekah said...

ooooooh, thats gotta hurt. But hey, at least you DID it.

Kailani said...

I've never been a bike rider because those seats (even on the female bikes) look so darn uncomfortable! :-)

Kailani
An Island Life